Brendan’s Alternate Tagline for The Templars:
They really need a public relations overhaul.
The story of the Knights Templar which most people think are a secret organization bent on world domination. That was literally never a thing.
Fun Fact Non-History People Will Like:
Most Templars were really just bankers. They protected personal belongings, issued receipts, and then could be traded for their value in money in other places.
Fun Fact for History Nerds:
Templars were barred from retreating or surrendering. Part of the Templar oath was to never yield in battle. It led to amazing acts of bravery and also tremendous acts of stupidity.
My Take on The Templars:
The Knights Templar might be one of the most misunderstood and bastardized group in history. Yes, they were knights (well some of them) and they wore a white tunic with a red cross.
Almost every other popular thought on them is wrong. Let’s hit the highlights!
- They were founded to fight in wars against non-Catholics. No, they were founded to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land.
- They were all knights. No, 90% of them worked in support of pilgrims going to the Holy Land either as escorts or “bankers.”
- They were secretive. No, they wore their tunics ALL the time when awake. They also loved ridiculously long beards.
- They were rich. The Order of the Knights Templar was because it acted as a bank. Actual Templars took a vow of poverty.
- They were corrupt and were destroyed because of it. No, the King of France owed them too much money and thought it was easier to frame them and have them all killed. He was right, apparently.
While I am sure my list above is very exciting, read the actual book. Dan Jones is very good at this.
Dan Jones is a master at making history easily accessible. This book is no exception. Buy it here!
If You Liked This Try:
- Michael Jones, The Black Prince: England’s Greatest Medieval Warrior
- Justin Pollard, Alfred the Great
- Kirstin Downey, Isabella