Tag: European history

  • Cunning Folk by Tabitha Stanmore

    Cunning Folk by Tabitha Stanmore

    Brendan’s Alternate Tagline for Cunning Folk: Magic without getting burned at the stake. Quick synopsis: The story of benevolent magic practitioners during the medieval and early modern period. Fun Fact Non-History People Will Like: There used to be a food called buttocks bread. No, I won’t explain why. Fun Fact for History Nerds: Among other…

  • 1217 by Catherine Hanley

    1217 by Catherine Hanley

    Brendan’s Alternate Tagline for 1217: King John was as bad as Mel Brooks said he was. Quick synopsis: The story of why King John was just the worst. Fun Fact Non-History People Will Like: The nobility and religious communities at this time made up about 6% at most of the population meaning the other 94%…

  • Cracking the Nazi Code by Jason Bell

    Cracking the Nazi Code by Jason Bell

    Brendan’s Alternate Tagline for Cracking the Nazi Code: Hitler was not the beginning. Quick synopsis: A look at the career of Winthrop Bell who spied on the Nazis before World War II. Fact for Non-History People: By the end of World War II, the Nazis were responsible for 20 million deaths without counting combat related…

  • The Killing Ground by Myke Cole and Michael Livingston

    The Killing Ground by Myke Cole and Michael Livingston

    Brendan’s Alternate Tagline for The Killing Ground: You don’t have to be a Spartan to die here! Quick synopsis: A look at all the battles that ever occurred at Thermopylae. It wasn’t just the one. Fact for Non-History People: It wasn’t Leonidas and 300 Spartans. There was about 1,000 Spartans and 6,000 other Greeks. Fact…

  • The Counterfeit Countess by Elizabeth White and Joanna Sliwa

    The Counterfeit Countess by Elizabeth White and Joanna Sliwa

    Brendan’s Alternate Tagline for The Counterfeit Countess: Best. Fraud. Ever. Quick synopsis: The story of Dr. Josephine Janina Mehlberg who became a fake countess and saved thousands of people in World War II. Fact for Non-History People: Mehlberg negotiated the release of at least 9,707 people and that does not include the people saved by…

  • The Art Thief by Michael Finkel

    The Art Thief by Michael Finkel

    Brendan’s Alternate Tagline for The Art Thief: Fine, let’s do a heist. Quick synopsis: The story of Stéphane Breitwieser. The world’s most prolific art thief. Fact for Non-History People: It is estimated Breitwieser stole art worth $2 billion dollars. Yes, BILLIONS. Fact for History Nerds: Myles Connor Jr. was a member of MENSA and also…

  • The Last Ships from Hamburg by Steven Ujifusa

    The Last Ships from Hamburg by Steven Ujifusa

    Brendan’s Alternate Tagline for The Last Ships from Hamburg: 99 problems but a ship ain’t one. Quick synopsis: The story of the men instrumental in the Jewish exodus from Eastern Europe before World War I. Fact for Non-History People: Thomas Ismay purchased the White Star Line in 1867 for only one thousand pounds. Yes, the…

  • Agincourt by Michael Livingston

    Agincourt by Michael Livingston

    Brendan’s Alternate Tagline for Agincourt: Shakespeare is full of –it. Quick synopsis: A new look at one of the most famous battles in history. Fact for Non-History People: Henry V was shot in the face with an arrow at an earlier battle when he was Prince of Wales. Clearly, he survived, but damn, it a…

  • Pure Wit by Francesca Peacock

    Pure Wit by Francesca Peacock

    Brendan’s Alternate Tagline for Pure Wit: Pure indifference to people’s opinions, as well. Quick synopsis: A biography of Margaret Cavendish, an author in 1600s England. Fact for Non-History People: The title of a pamphlet in this time period for context, “The Arraignment of Lewd, Idle, Froward, and Unconstant Woman.” Fact for History Nerds: Cavendish was…