Brendan’s Alternate Tagline for Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story:
Age old story of a beautiful actress who gets bored and invents something.
The life of Hedy Lamarr, actress, producer, and inventor it turns out.
Fun Fact Non-History People Will Like:
She sued because the name of the woman in Blazing Saddles was named Hedley Lamarr. Mel Brooks said, “she never got the joke.”
Fun Fact for History Nerds:
Hedy was friends with Howard Hughes and they dated. She’d lob ideas at him and would allow her to meet with many of his top scientists.
My Take on Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story:
Most people have probably never heard of Hedy Lamarr unless you are over the age of 60 or so. However, she has one of the most interesting lives I have ever seen. Let’s take a look at the highlights:
- Won a beauty contest at the age of 12
- Started starring in movies and was in a…ahem…explicit one at 18. It isn’t explicit today but things were way different back then
- Escaped the Nazis
- Came to America, became a film star
- Invented a device for frequency hopping that is still used today for things like Bluetooth
- Got married 6 times
- Inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame (posthumously)
The documentary hits all the highlights and doesn’t shy away from the fact that she could also be downright weird and abrasive as well. But I mean, who isn’t?
If someone says a beautiful woman can’t also be smart, just show them this. Then punch them. (Disclaimer: Figuratively, not literally. I don’t advocate violence. They are stupid, though.)
A very good documentary with a lot of information you probably never knew. Watch it here!